7 Spare Bedroom Makeover Ideas: Home Cinema, House Gym, and More!
Do you have a spare bedroom at home that’s just left empty most of the time? What a waste! Now that everyone is spending more time at home, why not consider transforming the vacant space into an additional spot at home where you can relax, study, or enjoy a hobby.
Here are some fascinating interior design ideas to get you inspired on how you can go about repurposing your spare room with an exciting makeover!
Music or KTV Room
Here’s an idea for music lovers in Singapore!
Want to have a dedicated room to jam to your heart’s content? Transform your spare bedroom into the perfect music room with a few simple tricks:
- Soundproof the room with acoustic foam boards and soft carpets to cushion the sound impact.
- Create storage areas for your instruments to keep the room tidy.
- Move in all your music equipment.
- Incorporate some mood lighting like disco balls or dimmer lights for a chill ambience.
Now you are ready to indulge in your music without causing any disturbance to your family members or neighbours!
Are your clothes just bursting out of your wardrobe? Yearning for a dedicated space to get dressed up in peace? If so, converting your spare room into a walk-in wardrobe might just solve all your problems.
Here are some simple tips on how you can go about doing so:
- If the spare room is right next to your master bedroom, you might want to consider hacking a doorway through to create an en-suite walk-in wardrobe for that luxurious hotel feel.
- Depending on your storage requirements you can install or position closets along one side of the wall or opposite walls to maximize walking space in the room.
- Leave space in between the walls for a comfortable dressing area with mirrors and proper seating.
Kids Play and Study Room
Don’t like the idea of having toys scattered all around the home? Want a quiet spot in the house where your kids can do their home-based learning without distractions?
Why not consider converting the spare room into a dedicated kid’s play space that can double up as their study room?
Here are some fun ideas to consider:
- Install cubbies or storage shelves along the sides of the rooms so that the kids can keep their toys organized easily and have plenty of space to play in the middle of the room.
- Get a nice foam mat or rug for the middle of the room so that there is a comfortable place to play
- Create a cosy study nook near the window so they can have a private and quiet place for attending home-based learning classes
Private Video-Conferencing Room
Whether you are a streamer, college student attending classes online, or office worker who needs to attend online meetings via Zoom, video conferencing has recently become a significant part of our lives.
Keen to improve your video conferencing set up at home? Here’s how you can go about achieving that with a dedicated video conferencing room:
- Have proper lighting in the room. Too dark? Opt for a desk lamp with soft lighting on the sides.
- Ensure there is no clutter in your background. Keep important stuff away in proper storage compartments tucked neatly away at the sides of the room.
- Set up your monitors, microphones, and earphones within reach
Now you are ready to take your video calls to the next level.
Mini Museum or Gallery
Have an impressive collection of souvenirs, figurines, or artwork that you want to keep safe and yet showcase to friends and family?
Transforming a spare room into a mini-museum or gallery is perfect for that. Here are some ways you can consider showcasing your prized collectibles:
- Use clear acrylic display shelves to help display your collection neatly and visibly along the walls. They come in all configurations to accommodate collectibles of any size.
- Want to keep them away from dust? Consider display cabinets with casings.
- Have specific items you want to spotlight? Why not incorporate some tasteful display lighting for a gallery atmosphere
And most importantly, you can lock the door to keep them away from the prying hands of your little ones.
Wanting to indulge in the latest blockbuster in your very own home theater? Why not recreate that home theatre atmosphere within your spare room?
Simply follow these steps:
- Invest in a projector and screen (or if you have a white wall, you can skip this bit).
Install blackout curtains to keep light from coming into the room for that darkroom experience.
- Set up a quality sound system for that immersive surround sound experience you get in the cinema.
- Get some comfy bean bags or chairs.
Pick a movie off Netflix, grab a bowl of popcorn and you are ready to enjoy a movie for the weekend!
Are you an avid gym-goer but hate travelling to the gym? If so, why not consider bringing the gym into your home. That way, you can always make sure you get your daily dose of exercise.
Here’s how you can create a gym without much effort:
- Decide on the type of workout you want to do and allocate the space accordingly. For instance, yoga or pilates will require flatter and level space, whereas heavy lifting routines will require sufficient space for the equipment and more.
- Stock the gym with the right equipment – from dumbbells, resistance bands, treadmills, foam rollers, yoga mats, exercise balls, and more.
- Have proper storage for your equipment – whether it is a weight rack, cubby holes, or cabinets, make sure you have a proper way to keep the room tidy after every workout.
Keen On A Home Renovation Project for Your Spare Room at Home?
Not keen on going the DIY route to transform your spare room into an all-new and functional space? Get a helpful hand from our pool of professional interior designers at Redbrick Homes instead!
Simply use IDMate, our all-new algorithm-powered matchmaker to find a creative interior designer that can help you give your spare room the makeover that it deserves!